“Use the apple test...If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not hungry.”

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual - Michael Pollan

A really quick read, less than an hour, that focuses on 64 easy rules for changing what and how we eat. The rules fall into three categories: 1) eat food, which means less processed foods and more whole foods, 2) eat mostly plants, these focus on eating the leaves and a variety of different plants and 3) eat less, which discusses not eating everything on your plate, smaller portions, and eating at a table with other people, not in your car or in front of the tv alone. Many of the "rules" are common sense and easy to put into practice, while others are difficult because they require people to change their shopping patterns and require more effective meal planning and time management. I found that I already use many of the rules here and found a few I didn't even think about but should be using. This isn't a book about how to diet or nutrition, it simply outlines some really good principles for navigating the world of over processed food and getting back to the simple and enjoyable foods our great-grandparents prepared.